Discover our unique perspective!
Thomas James caters to the founders and management who have selected us as their business partners. We have learned that the only way to help develop a fabulous company is one step at a time. This only happens if the company makes wonderful products or delivers a service that thrills large numbers of customers. If that occurs then founders, management, and employees of these companies prosper. It is only then that the investor deserves to be rewarded. It has to happen in that order. There are no shortcuts.
Elements of Sustainable Companies
Start-ups with these characteristics have the best chance of becoming enduring companies.
We like to partner with start-ups that have:
- Rich Customers: Target customers who will move fast and pay a premium for a unique offering. Focus, customers will only buy a simple product or service with a singular value proposition.
- Pick the one thing that is of burning importance to the customer then delight them with a compelling solution. Think Differently. Constantly challenge conventional wisdom. Take the contrarian route. Create novel solutions. Outwit the competition.
- A company’s DNA is set in the first 90 days. All team members are the smartest or most clever in their domain. "A" level founders attract an "A" level team. Be Agile. Stealth and speed will usually help beat-out large companies. Focus spending on what's critical. Spend only on the priorities and maximize profitability.
Writing a Meaningful Business Plan
We like business plans that present a lot of information in as few words as possible.
15-20 slides is all that's needed:
- Define the company/business in a single declarative sentence. Founders? Management?
- Define the problem? Describe the pain of the customer (or the customer’s customer). Outline how the customer addresses the issue today.
- What's the solution? Demonstrate your company’s value proposition to make the customer’s life better. Show where your product physically sits. Provide use cases.
- List competitors? What are your competitive advantages? Product line-up (form factor, functionality, features, architecture, intellectual property). Development a roadmap.
- What is your business model? Revenue model? Pricing Strategy? Average account size and/or lifetime value?
Thomas James financial vigor, operational strengths, and industry contacts provide a tremendous advantage to its investment partners and operating companies.
Thomas James principles have invested through different economic cycles and, as a result, recognize the difference between building long-term value through operational excellence and chasings fads.
At all times, Thomas James seeks to invest in companies and management teams that have a compelling business model and a carefully conceived vision for long-term growth.
Specifically, we look for companies that prefer an informed investor, one who has the capacity to provide creative solutions for strategic and operational challenges.
We can help with...
- Subordinated Debt (Mezzanine)
- Senior Revolving Line of Credit
- Angel & Seed Capital
- Growth or Acquisition Capital
- Management Lead Buyouts
- Restructuring & Divestitures
We would enjoy learning about your business and considering it for venture capital funding. It's easy to reach us. Email or call. Have a mutual acquaintance connect us. Before you send your business plan ideas please read the Elements of Sustainable Companies and Writing A Business Plan on the left.